Questions about Grid

Hi, I always appreciate your kind support. This is a question and bug report regarding the Grid.

• Is it possible to configure the alignment of column values? Currently, the alignment is centered vertically, but horizontally it differs depending on the data type, with some values aligned to the right and others to the left. Is it possible to unify this alignment to center?

• Regarding the display of tooltips for extremely long strings, currently, when trying to display the entire string, it becomes difficult to see other data derived from other columns. It would be helpful if there were options such as line wrapping or limiting the display to a certain number of characters to improve visibility.

• When pinning column(s) for display, the window for modifying the values of another column does not match the actual window location. It appears that the window for modifying values is being displayed in a position that does not take into account the pinned column. It would be pleased to check this issue.

Is it possible to configure the alignment of column values? Currently, the alignment is centered vertically, but horizontally it differs depending on the data type, with some values aligned to the right and others to the left. Is it possible to unify this alignment to center?

Hi Kosuke, thanks for the feedback! At the moment, this is not possible, however we can provide such an option in the future versions. But if you don’t mind, can you elaborate on the reason for it? Currently, numbers are right-aligned (so that bigger, “longer” numbers stand out), and text is left-aligned (which makes a bit easier to read text, and also distinguish between strings and numbers). Excel works the same way and I was under the impression that most users want it shown like this.

I suspect this might be related to Japan so please forgive my ignorance :slight_smile:

We do have a limit (see the picture below, the string is > 200 characters) - do you observe something different? Or does the current limit seem to be too high?

Aha! Found it, thanks for the feedback. When you hover over the cell directly (the previous image was for the whole row), we try to show the text in full. There is still a limit (see picture - the text is a lot longer), but perhaps it’s too long indeed

Apologies - indeed, the way pinned columns are implemented now is not optimal, and sometimes it shows :frowning: In the future, we will reimplement it completely, but in the meantime we’ll try to do what we can. @dkovalyov, can you please look at the issue and see what can be done there?

1 Like

Thank you for your note. I understand datagrok horizonntally aligns data in the same format as an Excel table.

As for aligning the text horizontally in the center, I believe it depends more on personal preference. It might be easier to read if all columns are aligned horizontally in the center.

I will provide the above explanation to our users. For example, for shorter strings, center alignment may be easier to read, but for longer strings, left alignment might be more readable.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming my request. I understand there already is a limit for 200 characters width.

I forgot to tell you that my issue occured when both chemical structure and long text are included in tooltip. So my request is rather showing chemical structure correctly in tooltip than showing less texts. So, perhaps you don’t need to change current setting (upper limit 200 characters).

short text

long text

Yes, sure. I think we can fix it and try to move the editor to the according grid cell.

1 Like