Show column name and Pin column behavior

Hi,
I use 1.20.0 version.
I have two questions in table viewer.

• Once setting pin column and uploading projects, pinned columns are set to hidden ones when opening the project next time.

Pinned two columns

They are set to be hidden.

• Updating feature for showing column name

I found the new feature showing column name behavior, which is updated probably later than 1.19. That’s great. Once I modify the length of column width, the name can be completely shown.
On the other hand, long column name is sometimes necessary. So, I wonder if you could further update this function to show full column names by adjusting column height. Although I am not sure how diffucult it is, I hope you get interested in my idea. Since there might be several choices to achieve, any comments and questions are well appreciated.

I appreciate your kind suppor in advance.
Kosuke

Hi Kosuke,

Thank you a lot for your feedback, we appreciate it!

Regarding the pinned columns and projects - we will look through them and try to fix them, though pinned columns are a little bit hard to fix, and we wanted to rewrite them in the core in one of the future versions of Datagrok. We will do our best to fix the pinned columns issue and deliver it.

Regarding the column names - do you mean that you want an additional flag for the grid or something, where some columns should be full width by default so the names would be fully readable? Can you please give an example where it could be usable, so we can discuss it and see what we can do there?

Additionally, if you are using the projects, you could just adjust the column width when you create and save the project, and then it will be automatically applied on the next project open.

Looking forward to your answer and more details on the column name issue!

Kind regards,
Dmytro

2 Likes

I am happy hearing from you. Thanks for considering my question.
I appreciate your effort about an issue on pin columns. I will patientlly wait until it’s done.

Regarding the column names - I want to display the long column name. However, simply making them wider reduces the number of columns that can be displayed. Therefore, I thought that if I increase the height of the columns and allow long names to wrap and be displayed, all names could be displayed even with a shorter width. That’s what I suggested. If it is not clear I am happy to explain it in more detail.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.
Kosuke

Now I get you. So you want to increase the column header height so it can be wrapped and displayed in multiple rows? Am I right?

Some time ago we spoke about it and wanted to do it, but haven’t done it yet. If that’s the case and you would like to have it, we can surely make it work so the header would have the same capabilities to wrap the text as it’s done in the grid.

Now I get you. So you want to increase the column header height so it can be wrapped and displayed in multiple rows? Am I right?

Exactly, that’s I wanted to do. With such behavior, users would be able to choose abbreviated name or wrapped name.

I am happy to hear you have discussed it before.
Best,
Kosuke

@skalkin Some time ago you wrote that you want to start supporting it - can you comment on this?

This will be addressed soon, in one of the patches for 1.20

1 Like

Implemented (was actually implemented before, but never properly exposed), and will be a part of the 1.20.2 patch:

3 Likes

I appreciate your prompt solving an issue.